Monday, June 13, 2011

Robin Lawley Talks About Transition To Plus-Size Model

Robin Lawley Talks About Transition From Straight-Size To Plus-Size Model 

The Huffington Post  Ellie Krupnick  First Posted: 06/10/11 05:01 PM ET Updated: 06/10/11 05:13 PM ET
Among the new guard of plus-size beauties is Robyn Lawley, one of the three stunners shot by Vogue Italia and a self-described former "skinny model."She told Models.com (video below), "I wasn't a straight-size model for long. I've always naturally been just a bigger girl. So, I found out I could model plus-size around 19. My sister suggested it to me. I just thought it was for older women, I didn't think I could do it at my age. I was quite offended in the beginning."
Now she's left all those doubts behind, having landed the cover of French Elle this past April in addition to the much-discussed Vogue Italia gig.
The Cut caught up with Lawley to get her two cents on the peculiar world of plus-size modeling and other less conventional topics. Fun facts we learned:
On her diet:
Although I am indulgent with my food, cooking is also a passion of mine. I love to make food from scratch and eating well. I've always been a very active, sporty girl so I get my workouts in. It sucks when people automatically think plus-size girls are unfit, fat girls.
On the advice she'd give to aspiring models:
If being a model is not working for you, stop trying to obtain it. I've seen girls stare at a yogurt container calorie box for hours on end, deliberating whether they should eat it. Look, if it's not working for you, hell, come to the plus-size world.
On her least favorite body part:
My worst feature is my feet. I have hobbit feet from wearing too small shoes while modeling.

Always ready to up the body image ante, Vogue Italia's June issue celebrates curvy models, with a trio of plus-sized beauties posing for the cover. Tara Lynn, Candice Huffine and Robyn Lawley lean over plates of spaghetti in their lingerie, and inside, Marquita Pring is added to the mix for Steven Meisel's lens.
The glossy's editor-in-chief Franca Sozzani recently told Women's Wear Daily, "We help [plus-size women] dress fashionably. We say: It's pointless for you to buy leggings, take this because this will look good on you. We help them choose. We don't talk about diets because they don't want to be on a diet, but it's not a ghetto. Why should these women slim down? Many of the women who have a few extra kilos are especially beautiful and also more feminine."
In March, Sozzani launched a petition against pro-anorexia websites. You can read more about that here.
Check out several photographs below. And head over to Vogue.it to see the rest (warning: NSFW at the link).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment :) or question, or anything!! I run this for all of you, I want to hear from you :)